Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]Biochemistry Genetics
Activate (enzymes, genes, etc.) from an inoperative or latent state.
- ‘About 3% of yeast genes are derepressed in tup1 mutants, as determined by microarray analysis.’
- ‘Most of the genes are derepressed in the absence of a functional hns gene, indicating that H-NS mainly functions as a repressor.’
- ‘In addition, these mutations were able to derepress endogenous genes at HML.’
- ‘Blocking deacetylation by sodium butyrate or trichostatin A derepresses silent rRNA genes subject to nucleolar dominance.’
- ‘Starvation for histidine derepresses the entire operon, the longest then known.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.