One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Obtain from (a pointer) the address of a data item held in another location.
- ‘The x command evaluates and pretty-prints any expression, prepending a numbered index on each line of output, dereferencing anything that can be dereferenced and indenting each new level of dereferencing.’
- ‘Therefore, each user or process that needs to resolve an identifier must know, a priori, which service should be used to dereference that identifier.’
- ‘On other CPUs, the data dependency implied by the pointer dereference suffices, so on these CPUs, line 18 generates no code.’
- ‘It took me about 8 hours to figure out how to dereference a multidimensional array which points to another array structure in PERL (a web script programming language).’
- ‘Any dereference of a pointer that causes a fault must be an access to an object on an access frontier page.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.