One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Obtain from (a pointer) the address of a data item held in another location.
- ‘The x command evaluates and pretty-prints any expression, prepending a numbered index on each line of output, dereferencing anything that can be dereferenced and indenting each new level of dereferencing.’
- ‘Therefore, each user or process that needs to resolve an identifier must know, a priori, which service should be used to dereference that identifier.’
- ‘Any dereference of a pointer that causes a fault must be an access to an object on an access frontier page.’
- ‘On other CPUs, the data dependency implied by the pointer dereference suffices, so on these CPUs, line 18 generates no code.’
- ‘It took me about 8 hours to figure out how to dereference a multidimensional array which points to another array structure in PERL (a web script programming language).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.