Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The day on which the Epsom Derby is run.
- ‘Should it be worn to the Curragh on a Derby Day which turned out to be less than clement, I reflected, death might indeed be the outcome, at least for the hat.’
- ‘Traditionally a day for racing purists, Derby Day is considered one of the most prestigious single days of racing in Australasia, featuring a card of nine group races.’
- ‘DERBY Day is expected to be a sell-out by race eve tomorrow.’
- ‘For 31 years at Yale, the last Saturday in April has been Derby Day, an event strictly for the hearty.’
- ‘This page shows photos taken at the Oaks Day and Derby Day events between 2003 and 2006, at the Epsom Downs racecourse in Surrey.’
- 1.1The day on which the Kentucky Derby is run.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.