Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action or result of depicting something, especially in art.‘the painting's horrific depiction of war’‘Michelangelo's depictions of the male nude’
picture, painting, portrait, drawing, sketch, artist's impression, study, illustration, portrayal, representation, image, likenessportrayal, representation, presentation, description, delineation, characterizationView synonyms
- ‘The prime concern of landscape painting is the depiction of natural scenery.’
- ‘If one went by media depictions, he lamented, one would think his neighbourhood is a crime-ridden slum.’
- ‘There is, of course, more to these depictions of New York streets than a simple realism of setting.’
- ‘Artschwager has also continued to produce paintings, typically monochromatic depictions of buildings.’
- ‘But uniformity is lacking even between animal depictions within the same painting group.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.