Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A dependent or subordinate thing, especially a country or province controlled by another.
colony, protectorate, province, dominion, outpost, satellite, satellite stateView synonyms
- ‘Empires generally expect neighboring states and dependencies to accept their power and accommodate to it.’
- ‘More broadly, there are many fewer dependencies, and more independent countries, than before.’
- ‘The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are not part of the United Kingdom but direct crown dependencies.’
- ‘The different circumstances and traditions of the various colonies and dependencies meant that they were developing at different paces and had little in common.’
- ‘At one time sovereign states could control foreign populated territory as colonial dependencies.’
- ‘A list of them would contain most of the colonies, lately dependencies, of Spain in South America.’
- ‘The Chinese Government further weakened an already weak position by the ambiguous attitude which it took to its dependencies and tributaries.’
- ‘St. Helena is a British dependency, but also has two dependencies of its own.’
- ‘The UK also has it's share of legitimate micro legislatures, although they are dependencies such as the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands.’
- ‘The Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are British Crown dependencies but are not an integral part of the United Kingdom.’
- ‘Most of Spain's European dependencies, in Italy and the Netherlands, went to the Austrians; and the Dutch kept their barrier fortresses.’
2Dependence.‘the country's dependency on the oil industry’
dependence, relianceView synonyms
- ‘He said that in all of the parishes there was a high proportion of dependency on small scale farm business.’
- ‘That may sound simple, but the cycle of dependency on federal aid is very deeply imbedded.’
- ‘Recycling and waste reduction are critically important as we try to cut our dependency on landfill sites.’
- ‘It fosters a sense of ownership of their services and reduced dependency on others.’
- ‘But does this dependency on the fans change the band/audience dynamic in an entirely positive way?’
- ‘The bubble could burst if the residents of the high-risk area are being kept in a system of dependency on the ruling party.’
- ‘The pollen count in the Midlands has very little dependency on the direction the winds are coming from.’
- ‘To teach them to embrace dependency on the government is to embrace learned helplessness.’
- ‘On the downside, this dependency on biography and history means that sometimes the tales do not stand in their own right.’
- ‘Importing more rice may be the instant solution, but increasing dependency on imported rice is not good.’
- ‘For some time the empire's dependency on internal resources did not matter much.’
- ‘To discourage dependency on the food bank, the re-registration form is more detailed.’
- ‘Ultimately, we need to accept ourselves and our experiences in life in order to avoid any dependency on drugs.’
- ‘My idea of good teaching is to try to break the students' dependency on the teacher.’
- ‘Plato hypothesized that dependency on writing as an external memory store would be detrimental to memory.’
- ‘We wonder why governments are so reluctant to reduce harmful emissions caused by our dependency on fossil fuels.’
- ‘A player's dependency on meeting the right manager at the right time begins at an early age.’
- ‘There is evidence of bonding between mother and calf; dependency on mother may last up to two years.’
- ‘I have to say that I am not impressed by this level of dependency on parents by their grown-up children.’
- ‘Then there is the sinking stock market and the move from guaranteed retirement pay to dependency on the ups and downs of financial casinos.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.