One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A seating area in an airport where passengers wait immediately prior to boarding.
- ‘He had passed through check-in and passport control without any problems and was waiting in the smoking area of the departure lounge.’
- ‘We were ushered through to the departure lounge - where there were about half a dozen duty-free shops.’
- ‘Sitting in the departure lounge, mobiles were constantly in use.’
- ‘Security at the airport had been stepped up since Wednesday last week with armed police guarding the departure lounge and patroling the perimeter fence.’
- ‘We got off and waited in the departure lounge.’
- ‘My holiday always begins at the airport as soon as I've passed through customs and have moved into the departure lounge.’
- ‘The new area will become a dedicated domestic departure lounge when the building is eventually renovated and partly rebuilt.’
- ‘Passengers departing from Dublin were held up in queues for up to two hours as they were made remove belts, shoes, prosthetic limbs and false teeth as they passed into the departure lounge.’
- ‘I was then led to the departure lounge where I was to wait until it was time to get on board.’
- ‘They were kept waiting on the tarmac in Manchester for nearly three hours, before spending five hours in a departure lounge, only to be told their flight had been cancelled.’
- ‘The departure lounge was filling up.’
- ‘Passengers were removed from the departure lounge and forced to go through pre-board security screening a second time.’
- ‘I sat around in the departure lounge, my head in my hands, shaking slightly with nervousness.’
- ‘He gave the new boarding pass to Mellon and they both then entered the departure lounge.’
- ‘A few years ago I was in a departure lounge at Logan Airport, waiting for my flight to San Francisco to board.’
- ‘Our bags were x-rayed, we walked to the departure gate and waited in the departure lounge until the bus was called.’
- ‘People were kept waiting on board one flight for nearly three hours before being moved to a departure lounge.’
- ‘As she was sitting in the departure lounge she reminisced about the past few months.’
- ‘A private elevator takes passengers to the departure lounge to board.’
- ‘Airport staff stopped him in the departure lounge as he tried to board a flight for Boston.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.