Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove or conceal an unpleasant smell in.‘people used dried flowers to deodorize their homes’
freshen, sweeten, purify, disinfect, sanitize, sterilizefumigate, aerate, air, ventilatedepolluteView synonyms
- ‘However, in order to reduce odour levels we are using a temporary deodorising system and we are experimenting with the adjustment of sludge agitation frequencies.’
- ‘Thoroughly disinfect and deodorize the soiled area.’
- ‘We all know that baking soda does a great job deodorizing the fridge and cleaning teeth, but battling plant pathogens?’
- ‘You can deodorise your refrigerator, garbage bin and compost bucket by washing them out with a litre of water, to which has been added one teaspoon of lemon juice.’
- ‘Baking soda can also be used to deodorize bottles by filling them with undiluted baking soda and allowing the bottles to soak overnight.’
- ‘Compare that to my current issue uniform cap, which gets hot and uncomfortable and stinks appallingly unless it is cleaned and deodorised twice weekly.’
- ‘White vinegar or lemon juice cleans and deodorizes.’
- ‘He made a note to himself to get a box of baking soda, because he had a feeling he was going to need to deodorize the microwave sooner rather than later.’
- ‘The native chemical and physical properties of sodium bicarbonate account for its wide range of applications, including cleaning, deodorizing, buffering, and fire extinguishing.’
- ‘There is also a need for higher temperatures to dry and deodorize the garments, which makes shrinkage and re-deposition of soil into the clothes more likely.’
- ‘Use baking soda on a damp sponge to clean and deodorize all kitchen and bathroom surfaces’
- ‘This will remove dead skin and bacteria from your tools and deodorize them.’
- ‘Salt can deodorise Thermos bottles, jugs and other closed containers.’
- ‘I have been searching high and low for a pillow that is supposed to deodorize gas.’
- ‘Or mix 1/2 cup borax into 1 gallon of hot water to disinfect and deodorize.’
- ‘Have the housing unit cleaned upon vacating by fumigation, deodorizing, professional carpet cleaning, or other method appropriate under the circumstances.’
- ‘I wash with five kinds of soap, so I am as clean, moisturized, sanitized, freshened and deodorized as a person can be.’
- ‘She washed, moisturised, shaved, cleansed, toned, scrubbed and deodorised her skin, before putting on a deep-sea facemask, accompanied by the traditional cucumbers.’
- ‘Briefed, de-briefed, hungry, sweated and deodorised, we waited for the big man to come, happy about the special access we were granted, yet a trifle upset that so many media people were waiting outside in the sun, hoping to do their jobs.’
- ‘And wastewater left over after the methane is extracted, greatly deodorized, is used for fertilizing the farm's fields.’
Mid 19th century: from de- (expressing removal) + Latin odor smell + -ize.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.