One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance which removes or conceals unpleasant smells, especially bodily odors.
antiperspirant, body spray, perfume, scentair freshener, deodorizer, fumigantView synonyms
- ‘The study finds that many beauty products - including some deodorants, fragrances, lotions, and hair sprays - contain phthalates but that most omit the chemicals from the ingredients lists.’
- ‘Two studies of underarm antiperspirants and deodorants and breast cancer have provided conflicting results.’
- ‘Those ages 18 to 24 are 33 percent more likely than average to use scented deodorants or antiperspirants.’
- ‘Phthalates are used in cosmetics, deodorants, and many plastics that make up food packaging, children's toys, and medical devices.’
- ‘Ask your guests to refrain from putting on heavy duty perfume or deodorants.’
- ‘Shower gels, scented soaps and deodorants, body sprays and expensive fragrances are just as likely to belong to men as women.’
- ‘Today's heavily advertised deodorants and men's fragrances leave you literally covered in hundreds of undisclosed synthetic perfume chemicals.’
- ‘But cancer experts say that the study does not prove cause and effect and that based on these very preliminary results, it's too soon to recommend paraben-free deodorants and other cosmetics.’
- ‘We've never heard of using toothpaste as a deodorant, but we are fascinated by your experience.’
- ‘Paraben is known to play a role in the development of breast cancer, and is found in cosmetics like deodorants, body sprays and shampoos.’
- ‘Do not use irritating, perfumed soaps, shower gel or deodorants.’
- ‘I put on my deodorant and some new cologne that I thought smelled terrible, but Nikki liked it.’
- ‘If you find yourself devoid of both deodorants and cruciferous vegetables, baking soda and cornstarch can work in a pinch to kill bacteria and absorb perspiration.’
- ‘Personal care products such as shampoos, deodorants, dental floss and mouthwash are multi billion dollar industries.’
- ‘So asking them to use mild soaps and weaning them away from perfumes and deodorants is our primary task,’ he said.’
- ‘Industrial chemicals added to the suspected carcinogen list include naphthalene, an ingredient in mothballs and toilet bowl deodorants, and lead used to make lead-acid storage batteries, ammunition, and cable coverings.’
- ‘Mothers and their babies are being made ill by common household products such as air fresheners, polish, deodorants and hair sprays, researchers claimed on Monday.’
- ‘Asking patients not to wear perfumes and deodorants has lost his clinic two clients to date, but he's also concerned about liabilities for staff health.’
- ‘Avoid aerosol cans, and stick to roll-on deodorants and pump hair sprays or styling gels.’
- ‘In most countries advertising is concentrated on a relatively small group of consumer goods, soaps detergents, tobacco, drugs, perfumes, deodorants, toothpaste, processed foods, alcohol, soft drinks, and cars.’
Mid 19th century: from de- (expressing removal) + Latin odor ‘smell’ + -ant.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.