One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A removable plate or frame holding one or more artificial teeth.
- ‘Difficulty eating can come from ill-fitting dentures, sore, loose or missing teeth.’
- ‘Older patients with dentures and partials also need to take precautions against a dry mouth.’
- ‘Oral thrush most commonly affects people who wear dentures.’
- ‘By the late eighteenth century, porcelain had replaced ivory as the material of choice for teeth in dentures.’
- ‘Another sign of a cancer of the mouth or gums is when dentures no longer fit well.’
- ‘If you wear dentures, your dentist should make sure they fit right so you do not get any mouth sores.’
- ‘Metal dentures should not be soaked in hypochlorite as they may discolour’
- ‘Poorly fitting dentures can cause you to swallow excess air when you eat and drink.’
- ‘On closer inspection he saw this was a pair of false teeth, dentures.’
- ‘The two incidents brought a plea from the dentist and his colleagues for people to monitor their dentures and bridges.’
- ‘If you've lost most or all of your natural teeth, you might use dentures or dental implants as a replacement.’
- ‘Partial removable dentures are best taken out and thoroughly cleaned to facilitate mouth care.’
- ‘Like natural teeth, dentures must be kept as clean as possible.’
- ‘Devices such as dentures and guide dogs help people bridge the gap between what they want to do and what their physical health allows them to do.’
- ‘Use a separate toothbrush to clean your dentures.’
- ‘Swelling of the jaw causes dentures to fit poorly or become uncomfortable’
- ‘Complete dentures are used when all upper and lower teeth are missing.’
- ‘All teeth can be replaced with removable partial or complete dentures.’
- ‘There are some advantages to retaining selected teeth under dentures instead of having them extracted.’
- ‘If you wear dentures, be sure to keep them clean and have them adjusted if they are ill-fitting.’
Late 19th century: from French, from dent ‘tooth’, from Latin dens, dent-.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.