One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person qualified to treat the diseases and conditions that affect the teeth and gums, especially the repair and extraction of teeth and the insertion of artificial ones.‘his mouth is still sore from his visit to the dentist's’‘a leather dentist's chair’
- ‘Often lip and oral cavity cancers are found by dentists when examining the teeth.’
- ‘On the second visit, the dentist glues the veneer onto the front of the tooth.’
- ‘Laughing gas is used by doctors and dentists as an anaesthetic or analgesic to numb pain, sedate and allay anxiety.’
- ‘Visit your dentist or hygienist to have your teeth scaled and polished on a regular basis.’
- ‘Most people have teeth removed under local anaesthesia by a general dentist or oral surgeon.’
- ‘If you do not go to the dentist, you may not know that you have these diseases until it's too late.’
- ‘Before you have a tooth taken out, it is worth discussing with your dentist how it could be replaced.’
- ‘You will have to follow what your dentist has taught you to make sure you remove plaque every day.’
- ‘Your dentist or health visitor can help you look after you child's teeth if you are not sure what to do.’
- ‘Your dentist will look at your teeth for signs of wear due to grinding and examine your jaw joint.’
- ‘In the short-term, we will change the way dentists are remunerated for treating patients.’
- ‘Most dentists recommend that you should replace your toothbrush at least every three months.’
- ‘Visit your dentist regularly and have your teeth professionally cleaned as required.’
- ‘Tayside health chiefs admit they are struggling to find enough dentists to treat all the children who need care.’
- ‘Gagging is a term that tends to be used somewhat differently by neurologists and by dentists.’
- ‘It is likely your dentist will prescribe antibiotics to control the infection.’
- ‘Doctors, nurses even dentists are taken to court for not taking the right action or making a mistake.’
- ‘Your dentist or dental hygienist can apply topical fluorides during dental visits.’
- ‘Bad breath is usually caused by a problem in the mouth, so you need to visit your dentist for diagnosis.’
- ‘Check with your dentist or health visitor if you are unsure about how to look after your baby's teeth.’
Mid 18th century: from French dentiste, from dent ‘tooth’, from Latin dens, dent-.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.