One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The degree of compactness of a substance.‘a reduction in bone density’
solidity, solidness, denseness, thickness, substance, bulk, weight, massView synonyms
- ‘Syncopation in varying degrees of rhythmic density plays an important role in ‘Kohntarkosz.’’
- ‘The sheer volume, as well as the astonishing density of thought and image, of his wonderful notebooks testify to the amplitude of his intellectual interests.’
- ‘Encouraging the consumption of this single food, milk, may have lasting implications for nutrient density, bone health and body weight.’
- ‘It also found a connection between the amount smoked, and the size and density of areas in the brain which are linked to higher nicotine dependence and increased impulsivity.’
- ‘Because it is a weight bearing activity, skating can build bone density to a certain degree.’
- 1.1Computing A measure of the amount of information on a storage medium (tape or disk). For magnetic tape it is the amount of information recorded per unit length of tape (bits per inch or millimeter); for a disk, a fixed number of bits per sector, sectors per track, and tracks per disk.‘chip density doubles every eighteen months’as modifier , in combination ‘a low-density 5.25-inch floppy disk’‘a drive capable of handling high-density 1.44 megabyte disks’
- ‘While in its early stages, the technology shows potential for high speed, high density storage of data, while retaining data even when power is turned off.’
- ‘In today's cramped data centers, real estate is at a premium, and maximum storage density is a necessity.’
- ‘One way to increase storage capacity is to increase the areal density of the medium.’
- ‘The change to a higher capacity is interesting not only in terms of storage density, but also heat dissipation.’
- ‘With its incredibly high storage density, the DVD might just be the solution to two vexing problems.’
- 1.2Physics Degree of consistency measured by the quantity of mass per unit volume.
- ‘We are further informed that scientific theories fail at a singularity, which is an event involving infinite mass, density, pressure and temperature.’
- ‘The formula is easily derived by making assumptions about the mass density of the earth.’
- ‘The strength of the absorption reveals the temperature, density, and mass of a gas cloud.’
- ‘Refraction is the bending of light rays as they pass from one transparent medium to another medium of a different density; it is measured in diopters.’
- ‘That is based on its average density, calculated by dividing total mass by volume.’
- 1.3 The opacity of a photographic image.
- ‘More exposure produces increasingly less density in the final negative.’
- ‘Hot and cool colors come together explosively within individual dishes, offering various effects of density and opacity.’
- ‘The image will lighten considerably during clearing, but don't worry because all the lost density will return during toning and fixing.’
- ‘Phone based cameras don't yet have sufficient image density to compete with true digital cameras, but they will in a few short years.’
- ‘While the imagery was similar, the format and the images' density were not.’
- 1.4 The quantity of people or things in a given area or space.‘areas of low population density’‘a density of 10,000 per square mile’
- ‘His large-scale color photographs illustrate the unbelievable density of Hong Kong's residential high-rises.’
- ‘The low population density in rural areas makes the provision of specialized mental health services in those areas impractical.’
- ‘The Government should develop a specific number of roads every year according to the traffic density of the area concerned.’
- ‘Moore's Law states that the transistor density of a silicon chip will double every two years, allowing a corresponding increase in processor speed.’
- ‘It is not known why the understory of the Hermit forest had such uncharacteristically low total stem density and total basal area.’
Early 17th century: from French densité or Latin densitas, from densus ‘dense’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.