1A device for measuring the density of a material.
- ‘Relative protein levels were determined by scanning the immunoblot with a laser scanning densitometer.’
- ‘The relative intensities were either estimated or measured using a device that determined the darkness of the spots called a densitometer.’
- ‘The protein fingerprints could be deciphered clearly upon scanning the gets using the laser densitometer.’
- ‘Measurement of signal intensity was performed with a laser densitometer (Bio-Rad) using the Molecular Analyst program on an IBM compatible computer.’
- ‘Unfortunately the stain cannot be read by densitometers that measure only white light.’
2An instrument for measuring the photographic density of an image on a film or photographic print.
- ‘If you do not have a densitometer, you will have to print the negative to determine if its density and contrast range are suitable.’
- ‘It is time to set aside the densitometer and resume my artistic endeavors.’
- ‘Photographs of the implants were taken with ‘control implants’ (an unused piece of nylon to correct for differences in film development) and analyzed with a densitometer.’
- ‘A peripheral bone densitometer is used to screen for osteoporosis, and can make one aware of low bone mass.’
- ‘The resulting films were quantitated on an imaging densitometer.’