An instrument for measuring density, especially of liquids.
- ‘We can manufacture densimeters with the scale and brand you require, on orders over a certain amount.’
- ‘These high precision densimeters provides a highly accurate calculation of specific gravity of almost any object of any shape.’
- ‘Nuclear densimeters are a set of devices that measure the decay of a radioactive source and they correlate this decay to the density and water content of soils.’
- ‘For instance, the densimeter may be particularly useful in scientific experimentation, in the packaging industry, or where ever the density of a fluid must be known.’
- ‘In the densimeter a thermometer is built to correct the value read at different temperatures from that of calibration.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin densus dense + -meter.