Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make (something) more dense.‘densified hardboard’
- ‘Added Johannson, ‘In order to densify Ambleside, to bring more tourists into the neighbourhood, to entice more shoppers and satisfy the merchants' need for foot traffic, many more people and cars will have to enter the area.‘’
- ‘It densifies the ground so that if a real quake does occur, the land will be strong enough to withstand it.’
- ‘‘This will be an urban park, and we could densify around it with shops and restaurants, for example, depending on what the community wants,’ he adds.’
- ‘Losing the character of their neighbourhood was the motivating factor for Jay Sakamoto and his mom, Nancy, to take issue with a city plan to allow developers to densify the neighbourhood near Youngmore Road.’
- ‘This step can often be delayed by an hour or more, allowing the concrete to densify by gravity, and it greatly improves both the density and appearance of the concrete in the top area of a vertical placement by reducing bug holes.’
- ‘Through thoughtful and judicious use of existing finishes, such as by densifying and polishing existing concrete floors, we can all meet today's and tomorrow's needs.’
- ‘It also crushes and ‘densifies ‘the material, he says.’’
- ‘The proposal is new - at least for Britain - it densifies suburban layout and does much to control cars.’
- ‘As such, no further progress will occur until we are able to re-occupy existing sites and modestly expand and densify the network.’
- ‘Few models of such development have been explored, and few of these have been followed up, but at Boras in southern Sweden planners offered architects opportunities to speculate on how suburban development could be densified.’
- ‘Fibers containing particles bound by this method are easily densified.’
- ‘In addition to the blind surface, the article can include one or more additional surfaces that can be densified in the same manner in a simultaneous operation.’
- ‘The surface of this floor is highly compacted and densified because most of the air and some of the water are removed in the finishing process.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.