One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A debilitating viral disease of the tropics, transmitted by mosquitoes, and causing sudden fever and acute pains in the joints.
- ‘The troops suffered from malaria, dengue fever, beriberi, hookworm and pellagra.’
- ‘Standing water from the flooding can attract mosquitoes, spawning outbreaks of malaria and dengue fever.’
- ‘The role of global environmental change on diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, and cholera has been well documented.’
- ‘Combined with a shortage of food and medicine these conditions create the potential for epidemics of cholera, malaria, dengue fever and diarrhoea.’
- ‘Malaria and dengue carrying mosquitoes are everywhere.’
- ‘Common scourges found in the desert include plague, typhus, malaria, dengue fever, dysentery, cholera, and typhoid.’
- ‘From being a sporadic illness, epidemics of dengue have now become a regular occurrence worldwide.’
- ‘He urged the government to do more prevention work before a serious outbreak of diseases such as dengue fever and Japanese encephalitis occurs.’
- ‘The country has made headlines lately with the resurgence of preventable diseases such as plague, malaria, dengue fever and tuberculosis.’
- ‘Dengue fever can cause encephalitis as well, but the more serious illness is dengue haemorrhagic fever, " Tsang said.’
- ‘Infections like dengue and malaria, therefore, proliferate solely where environmental conditions are suitable.’
- ‘Health and education facilities are minimal and diseases such as malaria, dengue fever and tuberculosis are common.’
- ‘The aim of disease carrier control is to minimise the transmission of malaria, dengue fever and any other communicable disease spread by insects.’
- ‘Mosquito borne diseases, such as dengue fever and encephalitis, are generally more influenced by ambient conditions than diseases passed directly from human to human.’
- ‘Diseases like malaria, dengue fever and cholera can spread quickly especially in temperatures over 30 degrees.’
- ‘The people who are most vociferous in this debate are simply not familiar with the epidemiology of diseases like malaria and dengue.’
- ‘Across the island, public hospitals are overcrowded with patients suffering from dengue and other viral fevers.’
- ‘Rain pits can lead to spreading of diseases such as dengue fever and malaria.’
- ‘Dengue fever or dengue hemorrhagic fever is a viral disease carried by mosquitoes.’
- ‘Also, you have to look into diseases like malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever, and typhoid.’
Early 19th century: from West Indian Spanish, from Kiswahili dinga (in full kidingapopo), influenced by Spanish dengue ‘fastidiousness’ (with reference to the dislike of movement by affected patients).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.