A synthetic polymer with a branching, treelike structure.
- ‘The nanoparticle system used by Baker's lab is based on dendrimers, star-like synthetic polymers that can carry a vast array of molecules on the ends of their arms.’
- ‘Highly branched stilbene dendrimers were synthesized and their photochemical behavior was studied.’
- ‘Probably one of the most exciting aspects of dendrimers is their demonstrated capacity to encapsulate small molecules for controlled release.’
- ‘The drug delivery vehicle used by the scientists is a manmade polymer molecule called a dendrimer.’
- ‘The fiber probe documented a fourfold increase in tumor fluorescence in animals that received the targeted dendrimer.’
1990s: from Greek dendron ‘tree’ + -i- + -mer.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.