One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The common people of an ancient Greek state.
- ‘In Sicily the tyrant is the ally of the rich and the foe of the demos’
- ‘Then the reforms of Kleisthenes formed the basis of the democracy, meaning the rule of the demoi, or village councils of the Athens peninsula.’
- 1.1 The populace as a political unit, especially in a democracy.
- ‘Democracy is one of the six classical forms of government described by Aristotle, denoting government by the demos, or populace at large, as opposed to government by a few, or by a single ruler.’
- ‘This is a serious threat to democracy as it does not reflect power flowing from 'demos' (populace).’
From Greek dēmos.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.