One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Introduce competition into (a market or economy) by privatizing previously nationalized assets.
- ‘First of all, we should demonopolize the sector and develop competition to make the people receive good services at reasonable prices.’
- ‘Second, efforts could be made to demonopolize decision making, such that individual discretion is limited and accountability is strengthened.’
- ‘In mid-December the government set a timetable for demonopolizing its power sector.’
- ‘Multinationals are lining up for the rush to begin for investment in Brazil's newly demonopolized petroleum sector.’
- ‘This is to become the first stage in demonopolizing foreign operations in the electricity industry.’
- ‘In all three countries, trade is now demonopolized and licensing and quotas play a very small role.’
- ‘The conference papers and discussion suggested two basic recipes for achieving such purpose: labour market reform and further privatisation and demonopolising of the economy.’
- ‘Broadcasting has got to be demonopolised for this purpose, just as the Internet is.’
- ‘Along with demonopolizing local telephone markets, one of the Telecommunications Act's great challenges is to reconcile our commitment to competition with our commitment to universal service.’
- ‘Following the course of state economic reforms, our organization was the first who demonopolized its activity and introduced the system of certified experts.’
- ‘On the basis of the state reform legislation that was approved in August 1989, the executive branch issued a series of orders to demonopolize and deregulate the oil and gas industry in Argentina.’
- ‘The government today plans to demonopolize the power sector.’
- ‘Due to recent demonopolizing of the market, other companies were invited to compete with it for domain name registrations.’
- ‘There is wide agreement that the calculation of utility costs is nontransparent and often arbitrary, and that the government is not interested in demonopolizing the industry.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.