One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Belief in the power of demons.
- ‘Throughout history the tattoo bears the mark of paganism, demonism, Baal worship, shamanism, mysticism, heathenism, cannibalism and just about every other pagan belief known.’
- ‘Dyer's mystical demonism accounts for the ambivalent, exhilarating, and uncanny dimension of his architecture.’
- ‘They are trying to kill him, and this lethal intention enslaves them to lying and to demonism.’
- ‘At the same time, demonic possession increased dramatically, probably because demonism in general and witchcraft in particular were preoccupations of the age.’
- ‘This Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini, recorded in Los Angeles in 1957, is one of the best in the catalog, particularly if you see demonism as an essential aspect of this work.’
- ‘His treatment of demonism is written as an antidote to the outbreak of sorcery.’
2Action or behavior that seems too cruel or wicked to be human.‘the demonism of warfare’
- ‘Weaver sees in this a species of the demonic, for demonism is ‘blind to everything except what it wants.’’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.