One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman considered to belong to the demimonde.
- ‘After Lacroix, Man Ray spent about six years with the famed Parisian demi-mondaine Kiki de Montparnasse, to whom he devoted an entire chapter in his autobiography.’
- ‘They are in love with the same woman, the demi-mondaine Metella, and have come to meet her.’
- ‘There were witless, self-important demi-mondaines and courtesans lauded in the popular press.’
- ‘Also included in the art of this period were images of prostitutes and demi-mondaines who became identified with the decadent pleasures of the cabarets and brothels of Montmartre.’
- ‘The demi-mondaine only revealed half of herself, her promise and her success; this is what makes her so elusive, and thus so desirable.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.