One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A woman considered to belong to the demimonde.
- ‘After Lacroix, Man Ray spent about six years with the famed Parisian demi-mondaine Kiki de Montparnasse, to whom he devoted an entire chapter in his autobiography.’
- ‘The demi-mondaine only revealed half of herself, her promise and her success; this is what makes her so elusive, and thus so desirable.’
- ‘They are in love with the same woman, the demi-mondaine Metella, and have come to meet her.’
- ‘There were witless, self-important demi-mondaines and courtesans lauded in the popular press.’
- ‘Also included in the art of this period were images of prostitutes and demi-mondaines who became identified with the decadent pleasures of the cabarets and brothels of Montmartre.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.