One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- dated term for schizophrenia
- ‘Among the illnesses he described were manic-depression and dementia praecox, a disorder renamed schizophrenia (split mind) by the Swiss psychiatrist Eugene Bleuler in 1911.’
- ‘He was suffering from total amnesia and dementia praecox and was duly incarcerated in an asylum in Rodez in central France.’
- ‘Schizophrenia, which used to be called early dementia or dementia praecox, is a devastating mental illness.’
- ‘Or is she suffering from what German psychiatrist Emil Kraepelin called dementia praecox, the antecedent of today's schizophrenia?’
- ‘Emil Kraepelin proposed links between dementia praecox and hormones in 1892.’
Latin, literally ‘early insanity’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.