A chronic or persistent disorder of the mental processes caused by brain disease or injury and marked by memory disorders, personality changes, and impaired reasoning.
mental illness, madness, insanity, derangement, lunacysenile dementia, alzheimer's disease, alzheimer'ssoftening of the brainView synonyms
- ‘People with dementia sometimes find it easier to look into memories than fact.’
- ‘People with dementia have a degenerative disease of the brain for which there is no cure.’
- ‘They support people with conditions such as dementia and Alzheimer's disease.’
- ‘Early-stage dementia or Alzheimer's disease may be associated with gluten antibodies.’
- ‘The higher homocysteine, the higher your chances of a person contracting dementia.’
Late 18th century: from Latin, from demens, dement- out of one's mind.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.