One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A lustrous green variety of andradite (garnet).
- ‘The third major find in recent years is green andradite, some of which may be considered demantoid.’
- ‘The dragonflies' backs are composed of graduated black opals and the heads are of pink opals with demantoid garnet eyes.’
- ‘Five slightly smaller clusters encircle the center, each with a faceted demantoid green garnet at its center.’
- ‘Superimposed on the spray is a diamond and demantoid garnet butterfly.’
- ‘The main uses of garnets are for abrasives and grinding materials; they also provide semi-precious gemstones such as rhodolite, demantoid, and grossular.’
Late 19th century: from German, from Demant ‘diamond’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.