One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Luxurious or sumptuous; of a superior kind.‘a deluxe hotel’
luxurious, luxury, sumptuous, palatial, opulent, splendid, magnificent, lavish, grand, rich, superior, high-class, quality, exclusive, choice, select, elegant, well appointed, fancyView synonyms
- ‘The series was set in Wapping, in what has since become a gentrified landscape, home to prosperous businesses and City types who dwell in its newly built de luxe homes.’
- ‘New this season are two super de luxe suites and a huge ice chandelier above the bar.’
- ‘The real editor's room - the oak-panelled office on the third floor - is merely de luxe.’
- ‘Twenty thousand copies are expected to be published, among which there will be a limited de luxe edition with silk end-sheets bound in gold blocked leather.’
- ‘Their resort hotels, like most of their city centre establishments, were aimed at customers seeking first-class or even de luxe accommodation.’
- ‘He may have masterminded the design of many of his stock of objects de luxe and automata, but they were made in the workshops of leading craftsmen nearby.’
- ‘They offer a whole range of facials, massage, pedicure, manicure and chiropody treatments, ranging in price from £24 for a basic pedicure to £39 for the super de luxe.’
- ‘All we are saying is that we aspire to be the finest de luxe hotel in the city.’
- ‘Instead, we see the upper crust and their fabulous lifestyles: fashionably dressed heroes and heroines, luxuriously furnished buildings, de luxe cars, and posh hotels.’
- ‘The standard package includes a de luxe room and champagne on arrival, for £350.’
- ‘Theirs was the Prince of Wales carriage, an historic carriage of de luxe suites which smelt of cedar polish.’
- ‘What this article does argue is that the first-class or de luxe resort hotel market was not the most profitable or the best long-term investment for the companies.’
Early 19th century: French de luxe, literally ‘of luxury’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.