One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who collects postcards as a hobby.
- ‘The final comment on this postcard must be from the point of view of a deltiologist.’
- ‘As any deltiologist worth his stamps will tell you, the modern photographic picture postcard entered the world a few months after it was vacated by Queen Victoria.’
- ‘If any deltiologists care to unearth the details and send them my way, the information will be posted with credit and gratitude.’
- ‘Links to other sites that may be of interest to deltiologists and collectors of coins, stamps, photographs,’
- ‘I'm not a very serious deltiologist, but I do collect a few things.’
1940s: from Greek deltion (diminutive of deltos ‘writing tablet’) + -logist.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.