One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Acceleration.‘four hundred knots of delta-v’
- ‘The delta-v to achieve geostationary orbit from low Earth orbit is 3.6 km/s.’
- ‘Further, they don't have the gravity-well problems which Mars and other planets have, and travel between asteroids will always be expensive in either time or delta-vee.’
- ‘Below acceleration durations of perhaps 50 to 100 milliseconds, the acceleration tolerance versus time curve tends to follow lines of constant velocity change, or delta-v.’
- ‘Their main characteristics are warhead energy, acceleration, and total delta-v.’
- ‘From a technical standpoint, a mission to Phobos requires minimal delta-v, because of its small mass and the ability to use aerobraking in the Martian atmosphere.’
Late 20th century: from delta (as a mathematical symbol denoting variation) + v for velocity.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.