One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Rid (a person or animal) of lice and other parasitic insects.
- ‘American consumers - and especially the military, which had used pyrethrum for delousing front-line troops - howled for the development of a suitable substitute.’
- ‘After looking at the beautiful girl some more, they decide to go get deloused and cleaned up.’
- ‘A laundry was established where inmates were washed and deloused; DDT was used on everyone in the camp and in all the huts to prevent the spread of typhus.’
- ‘Pay a visit to the camp infirmary, get your clothes deloused, or just park yourself in the latrine and fight that nasty case of amoebic dysentery you picked up along the way - it's up to you.’
- ‘We delouse everybody when they come in and once a week after that.’
- ‘He's assigned to the inmate group and is stripped naked, deloused, and given a potato sack-style uniform with the number 77 etched on the front.’
- ‘Using this knowledge, ARS and military entomologists came up with a system for mass delousing of civilian populations.’
- ‘The development of the Zyklon gas chamber was transferred from sanitary practices of delousing.’
- ‘A victim of racism and classism, the asthmatic loner finds himself being degraded in every way imaginable, including a delousing that will make your scalp recoil.’
- ‘People were deported to the camps in cattle cars, and upon arrival, usually separated from their families, tattooed with a serial number, deloused, and completely shaven.’
- ‘Among the substances currently being studied for their potential as delousing agents in salmon are the pyrethroid insecticides.’
- ‘He bragged that he could remove his shoes and drive flies from your hangar, delouse your dog from 50 feet and, if the wind was right, even delay the sunrise for up to an hour.’
- ‘He was bathed; and scrubbed; and deloused; and perfumed.’
- ‘No, the donkey shipment had already been cleaned and deloused.’
- ‘All entered the prison through The Fort gates, into the foreboding search and delousing room immediately inside the gates.’
- ‘Then they made us strip, hosed us down with cold water, and sprayed us with a delousing powder.’
- ‘But I've had a shave, a haircut, I've been deloused.’
- ‘Where possible, the army arranged for the men to have baths in huge vats of hot water while their clothes were being put through delousing machines.’
- ‘Overall, 56 of the children were treated using the Bug Busting method and 70 using over-the-counter delousing products.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.