One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pleasure and delight.‘a box of chocolates for their delectation’
enjoyment, gratification, delight, pleasure, happiness, satisfaction, relishView synonyms
- ‘And for your delight and delectation - you too can try it out here.’
- ‘I've finally got together some new links for your pleasure and delectation.’
- ‘And now, for your delight and delectation: My First Online Column.’
- ‘The title in itself is a little misleading, for this delectation produced for our viewing pleasure is neither about love nor does it appear to have celebrities!’
- ‘Anyway, I've put a copy of the article and the review in the post for your delectation and amusement.’
Late Middle English: via Old French from Latin delectatio(n-), from delectare ‘to charm’ (see delight).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.