One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The function or use of deictic words, forms, or expressions.
- ‘This study of the role of deixis and information packaging in discourse is based on an analysis of several corpora of Russian spoken and written texts.’
- ‘There is another linguistic category related to the notion of deixis: namely, aspect.’
- ‘The phenomenon of deixis has been taken to be the clearest single example of language's embeddedness in context.’
- ‘In concert with contemporary theory, she posits a world of belated, thwarted deixis, of quasi-chimerical example.’
- ‘It is critical to an understanding of deixis to recall that even very ‘local’ elements of context, such as a speaker's own corporeal experience and perceptual field, are susceptible of schematisation.’
1940s: from Greek, literally ‘reference’, from deiknunai ‘to show’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.