Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove the ions or ionic constituents from (a substance, especially water)
- ‘I highly recommend a reverse osmosis / deionizing water filter, if you don't already have one.’
- ‘The etched wire in the capillary was washed with copious deionized water, and then with acetone.’
- ‘Seeds were germinated in the dark on filter papers moistened with deionized water.’
- ‘Distilled, deionized water was used for sample preparation.’
- ‘Glassware was cleaned with chromic acid, rinsed with plenty of deionized water and dried in a clean environment.’
- ‘The iodine concentration of the deionized water was determined with the catalytic reduction method.’
- ‘The remaining ‘bulk sand’ was washed with 100 cm of deionized water, and the washing solution passed through glass wool.’
- ‘The resulting solution was made up to 100 ml with deionized water.’
- ‘Cholesterol was dissolved in ethanol and distilled, deionized water was added dropwise until a white precipitate appeared.’
- ‘The digested feed solution was filtered into a 50-ml volumetric flask and made up to volume with deionized water.’
- ‘The plants were washed thoroughly with deionized distilled water, dried in a shed, and compressed into a powder with the help of a manual grinder.’
- ‘This reactor uses deionised water for ozone generation.’
- ‘The last residues were washed with deionized water until the washes reached pH 5.5.’
- ‘It was dissolved to various stock concentrations with deionized water.’
- ‘The extract was evaporated at 40°C then dissolved with 0.5 ml of deionized water.’
- ‘Hydrated leaves were sectioned and viewed in deionized water.’
- ‘All solutions were prepared using fresh deionized water.’
- ‘All the reagents were of the highest quality available and deionized double-distilled water was used throughout the experiments.’
- ‘Between fertilizer applications, the pots were kept moist with acidified, deionized water.’
- ‘I washed the film for 30 minutes and carried out a final rinse with deionised water with a few drops of wetting agent added.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.