One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘deil take the hindmost!’Scottish form of devil
- ‘He's sweet when he wants but can be a real deil when he really wants to!’
- ‘After all, in Falkirk the town hall carries the inscription, ‘Better meddle with the deil than with the bairns of Falkirk’.’
- ‘‘What'll we do with the wee deil?‘asked the mother.’
- ‘Once on a time there was a lad who was walking along a road cracking nuts, so he found one that was worm-eaten, and just at that very moment he met the Deil.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.