One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An enzyme that catalyzes the removal of hydrogen atoms from a particular molecule, particularly in the electron transport chain reactions of cell respiration in conjunction with the coenzymes NAD and FAD.‘glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase’
- ‘Glucose is catalyzed to form gluconic acid by the glucose dehydrogenase or glucose oxidase reagent.’
- ‘The best studied set of isozymes is the lactate dehydrogenase system.’
- ‘Both classes of enzymes are involved in a wide range of redox reactions, e.g. succinate dehydrogenase and xanthine oxidase.’
- ‘Ammonia incorporation in animals occurs through the actions of glutamate dehydrogenase and glutamine synthase.’
- ‘Choline dehydrogenase of E. coli catalyses the first step in the synthesis of betaine, the oxidation of choline.’
Early 20th century: from de- (expressing removal) + hydrogen + -ase.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.