Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove excess grease or fat from (something)
- ‘Be sure to clean and degrease the surface that you plan to cover with skateboard tape.’
- ‘Some additives, which claim to degrease your system, may damage your drain field, contaminate your soil and groundwater, and in some states, be illegal.’
- ‘Shop dirt, oil and grease can be removed by either vapor degreasing or swabbing with acetone or another nontoxic solvent.’
- ‘We suggest that you purchase a chain degreasing box to speed your degreasing process.’
- ‘Before welding, however, the edges of sheets should be wire-brushed and degreased.’
- ‘Dismantle the gears and degrease them in paraffin.’
- ‘The directions tell us to degrease the part and then swab on the solution and let it sit for a few minutes.’
- ‘In the industrial world it is used for engine degreasing, garage floor cleaning, and in car wash soaps.’
- ‘All three manufacturers advise owners to clean greasy food spills promptly and use a degreasing agent if necessary.’
- ‘I have just finished reading the responses to your recent column on degreasing.’
- ‘If you have tile, now is a good time to clean the grout with a degreasing solution.’
- ‘To apply, thoroughly clean and degrease the metal.’
- ‘The bases, screws and receiver should be degreased with alcohol, and a thread-locking compound should be applied to the screws.’
- ‘This highly potent degreasing agent can destroy delicate tissues in the eye.’
- ‘Carbon tetrachloride is a manufactured chemical used mainly in cleaning fluids and degreasing agents.’
- ‘The secret to it is degreasing the turkey drippings and using a little red wine, and then thickening it with flour.’
- ‘A filter may be cleaned by being removed and soaked in a degreasing solution until the grease is dissolved, and then washed with warm, soapy water to remove any traces of the degreaser.’
- ‘This same equipment can be adapted for use with soap and water for pressure cleaning such as degreasing auto engines and lawn and garden equipment.’
- ‘The model is said to be a compact and efficient alternative for a wide variety of batch degreasing and cleaning requirements.’
- ‘I convinced my wife that the white coating on the stove was an excellent degreasing agent, but I still had to clean it up.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.