Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The action or process of swallowing.
- ‘Other factors include general anesthesia, loss of consciousness, structural abnormalities of the pharynx and neuromuscular disorders, deglutition abnormalities.’
- ‘Organic abnormalities of deglutition may be related to initiation of the swallowing reflex in the oropharynx or to propulsion of the food bolus through the esophagus.’
- ‘The act of deglutition will not be accompanied with pain or soreness, but extreme anxiety and violent palpitations of the heart.’
- ‘These are inhibitory reflexes, excited by deglutition, by gastric distension, and by intestinal dilatation.’
- ‘The process of deglutition begins with the bolus formation in the oral cavity.’
Mid 17th century: from French déglutition or modern Latin deglutitio(n-), from deglutire swallow down.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.