One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or process of swallowing.count noun ‘esophageal pressure peaks induced by a single deglutition’
- ‘Other factors include general anesthesia, loss of consciousness, structural abnormalities of the pharynx and neuromuscular disorders, deglutition abnormalities.’
- ‘Organic abnormalities of deglutition may be related to initiation of the swallowing reflex in the oropharynx or to propulsion of the food bolus through the esophagus.’
- ‘The process of deglutition begins with the bolus formation in the oral cavity.’
- ‘These are inhibitory reflexes, excited by deglutition, by gastric distension, and by intestinal dilatation.’
- ‘The act of deglutition will not be accompanied with pain or soreness, but extreme anxiety and violent palpitations of the heart.’
Mid 17th century: from French déglutition or modern Latin deglutitio(n-), from deglutire ‘swallow down’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.