Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Make or become free of unwanted or excess gas.[with object] ‘the column has not been degassed’[no object] ‘the summit craters were degassing freely’
- ‘If this happens slowly, the gas bubbles will slowly migrate through the magma and degas.’
- ‘All solutions were degassed by evacuation to reduce the noise.’
- ‘Solvents were filtered and degassed by sonification and vacuum before use.’
- ‘Mud volcanoes are an important global mechanism for degassing deeply buried sediments and it has been estimated that several thousand occur globally.’
- ‘First, we assume that the magma degassing process is open, meaning that gas and bubbles are lost from the magma during degassing.’
- ‘Excess solution was removed and fresh degassed buffer solution was added to the sample and allowed to incubate for 30-60 min before imaging.’
- ‘Depending on the initial volatile content of the ‘primary’ or ‘deep’ magma, volatile saturation is reached at a certain point, and the magma begins to degas.’
- ‘Both lipid and protein solutions were degassed under vacuum immediately before use.’
- ‘Faults provide additional pathways, such as dykes, for magma transport and also may help to degas the magma during its ascent.’
- ‘Solutions were degassed under vacuum before use.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.