Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of software) reduce the fragmentation of (a file) by concatenating parts stored in separate locations on a disk.‘the safe way to defragment your files’
- ‘You can choose which drives to defragment and whether to shut-down or reboot Windows once the deed is done.’
- ‘Choose the disk you want to defragment and expect to let the program run for several hours.’
- ‘With today's large and fast hard drives and more efficient operating systems, one maintenance task that's no longer as necessary is disk defragmenting.’
- ‘Another thing to bear in mind is that if programs are installed and uninstalled regularly then the hard disk will rapidly become fragmented, so it is a good idea to defragment the drive.’
- ‘Also disable the screen saver while the disk is defragmenting as it will cause the process to interrupt and re-start.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.