- short for defragment
- ‘I have more important chores, like formatting and defragging my floppies.’
- ‘After every test, all drives were defragged and the system was rebooted.’
- ‘I spend a good chunk of time trying to track down the problem - running diagnostics, defragging the hard drive, updating drivers, etc.’
- ‘And of course, I also recommend that you defrag your hard drive after every cleaning.’
- ‘Look after your hard drive - check the integrity of your hard drive to avoid irregularities in the way your PC stores files and defrag to ensure that files are not saved in fragments.’
An instance of defragging a disk, or the utility that does this.
- ‘I wouldn't do a defrag while burning a CD even if I did have burnproof, to me it just ‘feels’ wrong to be doing both those things at once.’
- ‘If you run the defrag utility (normally found on Start-Programs-Accessories-System Tools) once a month, your PC will be a lot happier for it.’
- ‘I've scanned my system for viruses, cleaned my hard drive using the defrag utility, and use scandisk to check for file-system errors.’
- ‘This week the article caught my interest - as on many Computer Group forums - the defrag utility is plagued with many problems.’
- ‘So I had to take the lot off and do a defrag, now it's a bit better.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.