One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical that removes the leaves from trees and plants, used in warfare.
- ‘By 1985 one-third of the country was considered wasteland, thanks to the use of chemical defoliants.’
- ‘Doctors say he is a victim of the defoliant, Agent Orange.’
- ‘For example, defoliants which were sprayed during the Vietnam War killed most of the mangrove forests in the Mekong Delta.’
- ‘A study, released in August last year by scientists from the US, Germany and Vietnam, found that the defoliant was still contaminating people through their food.’
- ‘Agent Orange was used as a defoliant and herbicide during the war.’
- ‘Much of the remaining foliage is stunted, dulled by defoliants.’
- ‘The defoliant was sprayed to destroy jungle cover for Vietnamese supply lines and wipe out crops intended to feed Vietnamese soldiers.’
- ‘Much of the countryside was laid waste through carpet-bombing, napalm and widespread use of chemical defoliants, and even a quarter century after the end of the war, the economic and ecological impact remain enormous.’
- ‘Decades after the wartime defoliant Agent Orange was sprayed over the country, dioxin continues to contaminate people through the food chain in present-day Vietnam, according to a study released yesterday.’
- ‘Since then, numerous federal and state attempts to control melaleuca have met with little success, efforts that range from spraying with defoliants to clearing with bulldozers and burning.’
- ‘Likely as a result of exposure to heavy doses of Agent Orange defoliant in Vietnam, he contracted a virulent form of leukemia that would pull him down in his early 60s.’
- ‘He later contracted and perished from cancer, which he and his father believed was caused by exposure to chemical defoliants used extensively in the war.’
- ‘Dioxin was the primary toxic component of Agent Orange, a defoliant used during the Vietnam war.’
- ‘In addition, the cotton crop is routinely sprayed with a defoliant each fall to get rid of the leaves to make harvesting easier.’
- ‘Many ecologists blamed the usual suspects for the bird losses: DDT, defoliants, avian malaria, suburban blight.’
- ‘Agent Orange was used as a defoliant during the Vietnam War and included, as contaminants, dioxin and related compounds.’
- ‘We have to determine its effects on cotton quality, costs, and labor requirements, but we think it will be competitive with airplane spraying of a chemical defoliant.’
- ‘Dioxin was the contaminant in the herbicide Agent Orange, used as a defoliant in the Vietnam war and thought to have caused numerous health problems in veterans of that war.’
- ‘The use of defoliants such as Agent Orange and various herbicides scarred the landscape and caused untold human costs.’
- ‘Mechanization of cotton cultivation has cut employment dramatically, and the use of defoliants and pesticides has caused health problems.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.