Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A device on a vehicle that removes condensation from the windshield by directing a jet of air onto it.
- ‘That recommendation was acted on, so there are such standard features as CD player, rear window defogger, 60/40 split seats, full wheel covers, digital clock, and body-side molding.’
- ‘I brood over this thought, as I warm up the car and switch on the defogger.’
- ‘I was concentrating on getting out of the parking lot and wishing I had spent the extra $120 on a rear window defogger.’
- ‘The windows were getting fogged up, so Graeme pushed the defogger on.’
- ‘All come with a list of standard features including air conditioning, electric rear defogger, CD player, driver information center and a split-bench rear seat with a pass-through to the trunk area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.