One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organism which supports the adult or sexually reproductive form of a parasite.Compare with intermediate host
- ‘Cats are considered the definitive host of toxoplasmosis.’
- ‘The worms were using hyena and large cats as definitive hosts and bovids as intermediate hosts.’
- ‘The next step in the typical, three-host life cycle invariably requires a predatory act by the definitive host.’
- ‘Once in the definitive host's gut, the tapeworm larvae mature into adults and shed eggs, completing the cycle.’
- ‘Another parasite under suspicion for otter deaths is Sarcocystis neurona, whose only definitive host is the opossum.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.