One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An organism which supports the adult or sexually reproductive form of a parasite.Compare with intermediate host
- ‘Another parasite under suspicion for otter deaths is Sarcocystis neurona, whose only definitive host is the opossum.’
- ‘The worms were using hyena and large cats as definitive hosts and bovids as intermediate hosts.’
- ‘Once in the definitive host's gut, the tapeworm larvae mature into adults and shed eggs, completing the cycle.’
- ‘Cats are considered the definitive host of toxoplasmosis.’
- ‘The next step in the typical, three-host life cycle invariably requires a predatory act by the definitive host.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.