One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
In a manner that shows open resistance or bold disobedience.‘he defiantly refused to accept any government money’‘folding her arms, she stood defiantly’
- ‘He defiantly asserted that weapons provided beauty to man.’
- ‘But regional assembly backers reacted defiantly to the millionaire's plans.’
- ‘The revolutionaries marched defiantly towards the heart of the city.’
- ‘He has defiantly defended his record at the company, which generates more than a fifth of the UK's electricity.’
- ‘The country responded defiantly to US sanctions over anti-gay legislation.’
- ‘He would not stop his comments and chose to openly and defiantly declare that nobody will silence him.’
- ‘Few Americans know that nearly two hundred years ago their flag flew proudly and defiantly over part of the town of Hastings in England.’
- ‘But the country's president defiantly insists the nuclear program is going ahead full steam.’
- ‘Suddenly, Blake found himself surrounded by a bunch of buffalo hunters defiantly waving their Winchester rifles.’
- ‘She defiantly vowed to fight on until August's party convention.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.