Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in ice hockey and lacrosse) a player, other than the goaltender, in a defensive position.
- ‘He adds that goalies must let their defensemen and forwards come back and get the puck behind the goal line.’
- ‘I was top scoring defenceman and defenceman of the year a couple of times and then I don't even get a contract offer.’
- ‘Teams - which will be determined by the organizing committee based on age, position and experience - will consist of 10 players: a goaltender, three defencemen and six forwards.’
- ‘The defenseman wasn't known as a goal scorer, but he sure was on that day.’
- ‘Defence wins hockey games and with the goaltending tandem we've got and the way my defencemen are playing we're going to be difficult to beat.’
- ‘He sometimes carried defensemen with him as he zoomed in on goalies.’
- ‘He immediately helped Mike Keenan's young defensemen with their positioning and hitting ability.’
- ‘To a goalie, having rugged defensemen willing to blocks shots is second only to having a good relationship with your posts.’
- ‘Here's a look at the goaltenders, defensemen and forwards who might never be in such a precarious spot again.’
- ‘Their top goalscorer is a defenceman whose six goals are almost as many as he has scored in his last six seasons.’
- ‘His quickness in going to the net often catches defensemen and goaltenders asleep.’
- ‘Or how about the time he sent a defenseman to take the goalie's place for a penalty shot?’
- ‘They know how many times he has been whacked and hacked by opposing defensemen and goaltenders.’
- ‘Sure, but the best defensemen and goaltenders would be up against the best of the offense.’
- ‘It takes a combination of size and speed to get around the well-schooled Devils defensemen and into position.’
- ‘Christopher also plays ice hockey for Hull, and he is a defenceman in both sports.’
- ‘Three players with proven talent are defensemen Robyn Regehr and Jordan Leopold and goalie Miikka Kiprusoff.’
- ‘The two forecheckers are called torpedoes, the other forwards are called halfbacks and the lone defenseman is a rover.’
- ‘Those who have seen hockey defensemen skate backward at full speed will understand the reference.’
- ‘He's never come close to winning a Norris Trophy despite being one of the best defensemen in hockey.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.