One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in ice hockey and lacrosse) a player, other than the goaltender, in a defensive position.
- ‘Three players with proven talent are defensemen Robyn Regehr and Jordan Leopold and goalie Miikka Kiprusoff.’
- ‘To a goalie, having rugged defensemen willing to blocks shots is second only to having a good relationship with your posts.’
- ‘Their top goalscorer is a defenceman whose six goals are almost as many as he has scored in his last six seasons.’
- ‘Teams - which will be determined by the organizing committee based on age, position and experience - will consist of 10 players: a goaltender, three defencemen and six forwards.’
- ‘It takes a combination of size and speed to get around the well-schooled Devils defensemen and into position.’
- ‘Or how about the time he sent a defenseman to take the goalie's place for a penalty shot?’
- ‘He's never come close to winning a Norris Trophy despite being one of the best defensemen in hockey.’
- ‘The two forecheckers are called torpedoes, the other forwards are called halfbacks and the lone defenseman is a rover.’
- ‘He immediately helped Mike Keenan's young defensemen with their positioning and hitting ability.’
- ‘They know how many times he has been whacked and hacked by opposing defensemen and goaltenders.’
- ‘Sure, but the best defensemen and goaltenders would be up against the best of the offense.’
- ‘Those who have seen hockey defensemen skate backward at full speed will understand the reference.’
- ‘Christopher also plays ice hockey for Hull, and he is a defenceman in both sports.’
- ‘He adds that goalies must let their defensemen and forwards come back and get the puck behind the goal line.’
- ‘He sometimes carried defensemen with him as he zoomed in on goalies.’
- ‘Defence wins hockey games and with the goaltending tandem we've got and the way my defencemen are playing we're going to be difficult to beat.’
- ‘Here's a look at the goaltenders, defensemen and forwards who might never be in such a precarious spot again.’
- ‘The defenseman wasn't known as a goal scorer, but he sure was on that day.’
- ‘His quickness in going to the net often catches defensemen and goaltenders asleep.’
- ‘I was top scoring defenceman and defenceman of the year a couple of times and then I don't even get a contract offer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.