One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The desertion of one's country or cause in favor of an opposing one.‘his defection from the Republican Party’‘a number of defections by leading ballet dancers’
desertion, absconding, decamping, flightView synonyms
- ‘Moreover, her defection from the Democrats occurred soon after the failure of the coalition proposal.’
- ‘A single additional defection could mean losing a vote of no confidence, leading to early elections.’
- ‘One defection from the government dissolved Temaru's majority and the censure motions passed by a single vote.’
- ‘The amnesty was offered after Ieng Sary led a mass defection of thousands of Khmer Rouge forces to the government.’
- ‘The costs of defection, for its weaker participants, would assuredly be higher than are the costs of continued compliance.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.