Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The discharge of feces from the body.
excretion, discharging faeces, excreting faeces, passing faeces, evacuation of one's bowels, opening one's bowels, going to the lavatorybowel movement, bmnumber twos, poohing, whoopsiescrapping, crap, shitting, shit, dumpView synonyms
- ‘The programme did not appropriately address the community's resistance to opt for toilets as an alternative to open defecation.’
- ‘This process continued until a sufficient number of defecations were observed and sample collection could commence.’
- ‘For example, strong fear, as with soldiers in battle, increases heart rates and blood pressure and may incite uncontrolled defecation or urination.’
- ‘Actually, raising pets stimulates dispute among many residents, due to the problem of animal defecation in public areas, and barking.’
- ‘‘Middening’ in cats means deliberate defecation in strategic places.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.