Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Remove fat from (food)‘soup made with defatted chicken stock’
- ‘In a typical preparation, 250 g of soybean seeds were homogenized and defatted.’
- ‘All it took was finding the right ratio of defatted soy flour to whole- and white-wheat flour.’
- ‘In fact, defatted Soy flour is of great importance in diabetic diets because its starchy contents and saccharides are low and therefore well suited to diabetic patients.’
- ‘This tasted a bit more meaty than the plain stock, but again what I most noticed was the mouthfeel: rich and smooth on the tongue, almost as if it wasn't defatted (but in a good way).’
- ‘In the first study, subjects ate meals with or without 100 g of defatted fenugreek seed powder, divided into two equal doses, for 10 days.’
- ‘If you use defatted stock, skim milk and fat-free sour cream or yogurt, you've got a low-to-no-fat meal that's as satisfying as it is good for you.’
- ‘Shred the pork and defat the liquid with a spoon or gravy separator.’
- ‘Tamari is a soy sauce made without any wheat, from whole or defatted soya beans only, and is darker in colour than the standard kind.’
- ‘Soy meal is used for animal feed; about 90 percent of the 2 billion bushels of soybeans grown each year in this country are defatted and turned into feed.’
- ‘The process of making soy-protein isolate begins with defatted soybean meal, which is mixed with a caustic alkaline solution to remove the fiber, then washed in an acid solution to precipitate out the protein.’
- ‘The active principle is in the defatted portion of the seed, which contains the alkaloid trigonelline, nicotinic acid, and coumarin.’
- ‘It is produced using defatted soy flakes followed by a water or alcohol extraction process that removes soluble carbohydrates.’
- ‘The meat had been deboned, defatted, and served in a pool of black-truffle sauce.’
- ‘Use a defatting cup to keep broths and sauces trim.’
- ‘Fenugreek has also been used to treated hyperlipidemia, both as seed powder in capsule form (2.5 g twice daily for three months) and as defatted powdered seeds (100 g divided in two equal doses).’
- ‘And in low-fat ice cream, a low-fat or defatted cocoa powder may be chosen.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.