One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in generative grammar) the abstract representation of the syntactic structure of a sentence.Contrasted with surface structure
- ‘This would have to be the mythical deep structure of linguistics.’
- ‘Chomsky's initial proposals, in Syntactic Structures and Aspects, had distinguished between the surface structure of a sentence and the deep structure, from which the surface structure is derived by transformations.’
- ‘The theory postulates that the two sentences have the same order in deep structure, but the question transformation changes the order to that in surface structure.’
- ‘The first is ‘universal grammar,’ the Enlightenment belief that the deep structure of language is uniform across languages.’
- ‘According to his theory, humans produce language through a deep structure that enables them to generate and transfer their own grammar to any other language.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.