Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
verb[WITH OBJECT]North American
Destroy or dispose of (something) irretrievably.‘someone had deliberately deep-sixed evidence’
bury, lay to rest, consign to the grave, entomb, inurnView synonyms
- ‘It's time to deep-six ill-conceived ideas like this and relegate those who propose them to the dust bin of history.’
- ‘A loss would deep-six his career and ruin his self-image.’
- ‘The bean counters deep-six one of your equipment purchase orders because they say it's too expensive.’
- ‘Today he is pressing the important story of the independent counsel report that some would prefer to see deep-sixed: ‘Coverup?’’
- ‘Frankie and Johnny was deep-sixed by an unlikable heroine and a rather boring screenplay.’
- ‘I also deep-sixed a few sites whose content had taken an nosedive in the past two years.’
- ‘If you totally deep-six the friendship, he will figure everything out - if he hasn't already.’
- ‘Among other things, the legislation deep-sixed restrictions that had forbidden banks from owning insurance companies and brokerages, and vice versa.’
- ‘They never really wanted to offend their corporate contributors, and now that the elections are over, they've deep-sixed any action to stop this tax scam.’
- ‘To keep them quiet, they'd have to deep-six everybody who took part.’
- ‘Well a big chunk of the famed New York subway system is getting deep-sixed, literally.’
- ‘What might have been an endurable serial killer flick is deep-sixed by superfluous scenes and atrocious writing.’
- ‘So even as NASA and its international partners build their brand-new space station Alpha, there is a detailed plan to safely deep-six the outpost when its days are over.’
- ‘The old notion of stretching first, when your muscles are cold, was deep-sixed long ago.’
- ‘The administration, of course, has already deep-sixed that one.’
- ‘The government clearly had no use for the commission's 1979 report and deep-sixed it on arrival.’
- ‘Robbins should have deep-sixed the sentimental scenes and given us more caricature.’
- ‘Likewise, a promise to deep-six an auto-tax hike could also fall by the wayside.’
- ‘The fear that they would put audiences into narcoleptic slumber is probably why proposals for a TV channel to cover events at the world organization are often raised only to be deep-sixed.’
- ‘These are just some of the tools and techniques we need to explore and evaluate before deep-sixing search.’
1920s (as the deep six the grave): perhaps from the custom of burial at a depth of six feet.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.