One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Thoroughgoing; complete.‘a deep-dyed Beatles fan’
complete, utter, absolute, thorough, perfect, downright, out-and-out, outright, thoroughgoing, all-out, sheer, positive, prize, rank, pure, dyed-in-the-wool, real, consummate, veritable, unmitigated, unqualified, unadulterated, unalloyed, unconditional, unequivocal, full, unlimited, limitless, infinite, ultimate, through and through, in-depthView synonyms
- ‘She is armed with little more than force of character - wardens have no powers of arrest or confiscation - and that cuts little ice with a deep-dyed yob.’
- ‘That deep-dyed, dynamic connection with tradition was to prove stronger than all the company's determination to turn the singer into a solo approximation of The Corrs.’
- ‘If we are all capitalists now, it is because we moderns - right, left, and centre - are all deep-dyed egalitarians and capitalism is revealing itself to be the most egalitarian of regimes.’
- ‘Hutchison Wampoa, the parent company, is, after all, of deep-dyed blue-chip hue.’
- ‘The group's deep-dyed conservatism and hostility to social protest widely discredited it.’
- ‘But that's an opinion for the deep-dyed libertarians.’
- ‘He was a Communist, of sorts, and a deep-dyed New York-style baseball enthusiast.’
- ‘This is almost certainly not some deep-dyed plot by the company to rewrite history, but is the product of dismaying ignorance.’
- ‘Far from being a deep-dyed traditionalist, he is a maverick, a valuable eccentric, who uses his influence to stimulate rather than stifle debate.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.