Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Thoroughgoing; complete.‘a deep-dyed Beatles fan’
complete, utter, absolute, thorough, perfect, downright, out-and-out, outright, thoroughgoing, all-out, sheer, positive, prize, rank, pure, dyed-in-the-wool, deep-dyed, real, consummate, veritable, unmitigated, unqualified, unadulterated, unalloyed, unconditional, unequivocal, full, unlimited, limitless, infinite, ultimate, through and through, in-depthView synonyms
- ‘She is armed with little more than force of character - wardens have no powers of arrest or confiscation - and that cuts little ice with a deep-dyed yob.’
- ‘If we are all capitalists now, it is because we moderns - right, left, and centre - are all deep-dyed egalitarians and capitalism is revealing itself to be the most egalitarian of regimes.’
- ‘That deep-dyed, dynamic connection with tradition was to prove stronger than all the company's determination to turn the singer into a solo approximation of The Corrs.’
- ‘This is almost certainly not some deep-dyed plot by the company to rewrite history, but is the product of dismaying ignorance.’
- ‘Hutchison Wampoa, the parent company, is, after all, of deep-dyed blue-chip hue.’
- ‘Far from being a deep-dyed traditionalist, he is a maverick, a valuable eccentric, who uses his influence to stimulate rather than stifle debate.’
- ‘The group's deep-dyed conservatism and hostility to social protest widely discredited it.’
- ‘But that's an opinion for the deep-dyed libertarians.’
- ‘He was a Communist, of sorts, and a deep-dyed New York-style baseball enthusiast.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.