One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a cell or tissue) undergo a reversal of differentiation and lose specialized characteristics.
- ‘The ability to dedifferentiate stem cells (the article uses the term retrodifferentiation) would be incredibly valuable just for leukemia treatment.’
- ‘For example, they found that the proliferating cells dedifferentiated, meaning they temporarily lost the characteristics of mature heart muscle cells and reverted to a more fetal type of proliferating cell.’
- ‘By manipulating niche signals, they could make the stem cells differentiate, then dedifferentiate again.’
- ‘A third approach is to use one's own specialized cells and dedifferentiate them.’
- ‘The search for compounds to differentiate and dedifferentiate (specialize and despecialize) stem cells is accelerating due to advances in biotechnology for growing and screening cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.