One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘She complied, though heartbroken, and in spite of the insistence of her teacher William Alwyn who, some half-century later, became the dedicatee of her Wind Quintet.’
- ‘Throughout the volume, Lanyer lauds her primary dedicatee Margaret Clifford, the Countess of Cumberland, for her charity, piety, chastity, learning, and nobility.’
- ‘Poor Pyotr never had things easy in life, and his work was at first damned as ‘worthless, unplayable and clumsy’ - and that was from the intended dedicatee, Nikolai Rubinstein.’
- ‘Alfred Schnittke's First Cello Concerto is surely one major candidate, first performed by the orchestra in 1991 and again on this occasion by the work's dedicatee, Natalia Gutman.’
- ‘Many - including its dedicatee and first conductor, Hans Richter - considered not only the greatest English symphony to that point, but the greatest symphony of modern times.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.